Universal Journal of Public Health Vol. 11(6), pp. 888 - 893
DOI: 10.13189/ujph.2023.110613
Reprint (PDF) (803Kb)


Snapshot of the WASH Situation Among Tribal Households of Andhra Pradesh, India


Satyajit Pattnaik 1, Satyajit Sundar Ray 2, Bikash Chandra Nayak 1, Dhananjaya Sharma 3, Murali Mohan Rao 4, Saptarshi Bose 4,*
1 Department of Community Medicine, IMS & SUM Hospital,Bhubaneswar, India
2 Department of Community Medicine, SJMCH, Puri, India
3 Department of Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Bhawanipatna, India
4 Department of Community Medicine, GEMS & Hospital, Srikakulam, India

ABSTRACT

Background: Safe drinking water and proper sanitary facilities can go a long way in preventing many infectious diseases. Children are the worst affected by inadequate sanitary facilities as well as unsafe water source. NFHS-5 reveals that 72% of population in rural areas in Andhra Pradesh has improved sanitary facilities. There is no separate data for the tribal areas. The present study was aimed at finding the number of tribal families who had access to better sanitation and drinking water facilities. Methodology: This cross-sectional study was undertaken in 10 villages in a tribal dominated block in Srikakulam district of the state of Andhra Pradesh in India. A total of 350 households were surveyed (35 households in each village). A pre validated questionnaire developed and used by WHO/UNICEF was used for data collection. Results: It was found that all households used "improved" drinking water source. But only 69% of households had "improved" sanitary facility at home. The rest 31% of households still practice open air defecation. Open air defecation was significantly associated with lower level of education and occupation. Further occupation was found to be significantly associated with the practice of open air defecation. Conclusion: Tribal households in this district have access to safe drinking water but not to sanitary facilities.

KEYWORDS
WASH, Toilet, Latrine, Tribal

Cite This Paper in IEEE or APA Citation Styles
(a). IEEE Format:
[1] Satyajit Pattnaik , Satyajit Sundar Ray , Bikash Chandra Nayak , Dhananjaya Sharma , Murali Mohan Rao , Saptarshi Bose , "Snapshot of the WASH Situation Among Tribal Households of Andhra Pradesh, India," Universal Journal of Public Health, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 888 - 893, 2023. DOI: 10.13189/ujph.2023.110613.

(b). APA Format:
Satyajit Pattnaik , Satyajit Sundar Ray , Bikash Chandra Nayak , Dhananjaya Sharma , Murali Mohan Rao , Saptarshi Bose (2023). Snapshot of the WASH Situation Among Tribal Households of Andhra Pradesh, India. Universal Journal of Public Health, 11(6), 888 - 893. DOI: 10.13189/ujph.2023.110613.